Intro to sea kayaking
This is an introduction to sea kayaking in Abu Dhabi for beginner paddlers who have some limited kayaking experience or who have completed the Intro to Basic Kayaking – NAC01 course. The objective of this course is to coach the basic skills for participants to safely navigate along a coastal environment for a full day with an overnight stop where required.
Sea kayaks, with spray skirts, are provided – these are stable, fast and responsive kayaks and a great platform for learning the various paddle strokes and skills needed to sea kayak safely in our coastal waters. Participants can use their own craft and the programme lasts up to a maximum of one session 4 hrs straight (AED 600pp) or two sessions of 2 hours each (AED 800pp).
We cover the following topics;
- Kayak & paddle dynamics (sea kayak, day trippers, sit-on-tops and play boats)
- Equipment overview (clothing, grab bag, first aid, rescue systems etc)
- How to pack a sea kayak
- Basic seamanship
- The Green Code and Access
- Lunch stop
- Basic navigation – theory
- Five stroke coaching; Forward and reverse paddling; Emergency stop; Forward and Reverse sweep stroke; Stern rudder; Draw stroke; Sculling draw stroke; Stern rudder; and Hanging draw
- Basic navigation – practical
- Assisted rescues as rescuer and as casualty – demonstration & practical
- Closing Q & A session
Participants are made aware of further resources available to allow them to clock up time on the water towards formal BCU accredited programmes such as BCU 2* and 3* training.
Number of participants: (6 min, 12 max)
Length of course: 4 hour or 6 hour
Meeting point: Eastern Mangrove Marina
Equipment: All kayaking equipment included (sea kayak, paddle, lifejacket, towline)
Lunch and drink: Only water and hot drinks provided. Please bring own lunch and water
Price: Full day AED 600 or two sessions AED 800